fsck suite history file:
- 1.00 - 1.04 -- May 94
- First fully working versions, released only to a few people via e-mail.
- 1.10 -- 11 May 94
- RISCiX partitions are now fully supported (ie. mapped out). First version
distributed as SHAREWARE.
- 1.11 -- ?? Jun 94
- Added -a option. The logfile is appended to the end of the file if it already
exists and now it contains the creation date. Great speed increase (up to 2
times faster without -s and 5 times faster with -s!!!). Now fsck is just 25%
slower than *CheckMap (or 2 times slower with -s)! Added the note about "Free
space chunks statistics" (see the section Notes).
- 1.12 -- 12 Jun 94
- Another speed improvement (just 10%)! fsck isn't yet as fast as *CheckMap but
I'm working on it ;-) Fixed a possible dangerous behaviour of -a option.
Added a warning for HD boot blocks marked as defect. Slowed down the wheel.
Added files MapExpl and StatsHelp.
- 1.13 -- 26 Jun 94
- Faster again (15% with -s, 3% without)!! Now statistics are just a bit slower
than normal mode. Automatic creation of lostdir. More messages at the end of
the process that can help to understand what happened (ie. the disc is fixed,
fixable, unfixable, etc.) and more helpful error messages (no more Can't
find 'AD::0.$': incorrect FS) if the floppy drive is empty!
- 1.20 -- 11 Oct 94
- Completely rewritten! As you would expect: FASTER (this is probably the
maximum achievable speed with the structure of fsck, so don't expect further
significant improvements!). Now fsck is 20-30% faster than *CheckMap, even
with statistics enabled! Directory recognition added (see the "What it does"
section). No more files to move (so many people complained about this)! Added
-m and -n options to 'simulate' 1.13 version. Added -c option to simulate
*CheckMap (!). Removed the obsolescent -a option. Fixed problems with
ImageFSFix module and removed -I option. If some file has allocation
problems, the name of the file is reported together with the error, so that
you can use 'eliminate' to remove it. Fixed a lot of bugs, some more sensible
messages and more consistent way to print some value. Added new statistics
about files that must be fragmented. Modified command line behaviour: if no
'pathname' is given, fsck scans the current disc (as *CheckMap does). Added
hardfix program. Added '!QuickFix' and '!Intro' files. Modified most of
this help file, removed the "Can a serious filing system corrupt discs?"
section that contained only my (debatable) opinions and added "fsck and Risc
- 1.21 -- 05 Feb 95
- Fixed some minor bug and added some error trapping. Added and documented a
sensible return code and the system variable fsck$ReturnCode. Fixed some bugs
in the directory relinking feature.
- 1.22 -- 12 Jun 95
- Fixed bug that caused problems when relinking directories that share sectors
with other files to relink. Fixed problems related to non-ADFS partitions.
Fixed a bug that caused wrong IDs to be relinked in very infrequent cases.
Removed the limit on the number of IDs to relink (ie. no more Too many IDs
to relink errors).
- 1.30 -- 03 Jan 96
- Added code-based user registration. Stopped maintaintaining list of fixed
discs since it was growing too much! Added support for 'big' discs
(registered version only). Now files with file ID of 2 are checked (I didn't
know they could exist!). Report an error on files with sector offset too big
(need to be eliminated). Fixed bug that sometimes caused two directories to
be relinked with the same name. Added possibility to relink files in the root
directory specifying '$' as relink directory using the -d option (although
this is not really recommended!). No more try to report RISCiX partitions if
the disc is just badly formatted... Using both -s and -v now gives sensible
results! fsck now says to use 'hardfix' if the root directory is broken, not
- 1.31 -- 20 Dec 96
- Fixed a problem that prevented fsck from running properly with Panasonic PD
drives. Check if the disc to scan is larger than 512Mb using a version of
FileCore that is unable to handle such discs (ie. if the disc has been
incorrectly formatted). A warning is now reported if there are incorrectly
allocated system files and the user is adviced to run 'hardfix'. The
unregistered version is now able to scan 'big' discs but will not eventually
fix them. Fixed problems with discs larger than 2Gb (ie. LFAU larger than
8Kb). Now RISC OS 2 compatible, hopefully! Fixed a small bug that sometimes
caused the relink of files with wrong ID.
- 1.00 -- 13 Apr 94
- First working version. Tried only on floppies...
- 1.01 -- 11 May 94
- Some test was done on HardDiscs (all successful). Updated to match the
changes in the common sources with fsck.
- 1.02 -- ?? Jun 94
- Auto-dismount the disc after the file has been eliminated.
- 1.10 -- 11 Oct 94
- Completely rewritten in order to keep it up-to-date with the new
versions of fsck. This caused a big size reduction (since most of
the code included in the old one was used only by fsck!). Some more
check and meaningful messages added.
- 1.11 -- 05 Feb 95
- Nothing really new, just linked with a more stable library (see fsck).
- 1.12 -- 12 Jun 95
- Minor internal reorganisation.
- 1.20 -- 03 Jan 96
- Added code-based user registration. Added support for 'big' discs (registered
version only). Improved error message when the user tries to eliminate the
root directory (ie suggests to use 'hardfix').
- 1.21 -- 22 Dec 96
- Fixed a problem that prevented eliminate from running properly with Panasonic
- 1.00 -- 11 Oct 94
- First released version.
- 1.01 -- 05 Feb 95
- Cured a bug that in some case prevented to fix some strange case of lost free
space in some zone. When restoring the map it tries not to read the disc
shape from the disc itself (because it may be corrupted) but uses the saved
one. Removed the possibility to write the bootblock to disc since it could be
dangerous. Added fix of too high ID and not sector-aligned objects. Fixed
some problem with RISCiX partitioned bootblocks and with bad defect list (not
really useful since the ability to fix bootblocks has been removed!). Added
fix of root address and root reserved bytes.
- 1.02 -- 12 Jun 95
- Fixed defect list checksum calculation that was broken if there was only one
defect. Improved handling of non-ADFS partitioned discs.
- 1.10 -- 03 Jan 96
- Added code-based user registration. Added check for last object in zone too
long. Added support for 'big' discs (registered version only).
- 1.11 -- 22 Dec 96
- Fixed a problem that prevented hardfix from running properly with Panasonic
PD drives. Added check and fix for unofficial system files (including a
warning for Gordian Installed programs). The unregistered version now checks
'big' discs but will not eventually fix them.
© Copyright Sergio Monesi, 1997-1999.
Last updated: 07 May 1999